Things to do on Symi
We are often asked what there is to do on Symi when you visit for a holiday. Well, here is a list of some ideas. It’s not a full list and links, there are probably loads of other things going on, other places to visit on the island, and other things to do. And we will be adding to this page over time, so keep an eye on it.
♦ Calendar of Symi Events provided by Symi Dream
♦ Symi Dream events
• Wine nights Meet new friends on the steps, view the Symi Dream Gallery and take a glass of wine on us.
• Guided photo-walks With Symi’s official photographer; Explore the photo opportunities in the upper village, on the donkey paths, the Pedi valley and other places you might not otherwise find. Booking advised.
♦ Photoshop tutorials. Learn how to use Photoshop to manipulate and improve your images. One-to-one tutorials available with Neil. Contact us for details.
• Guide books can be bought from Kalodoukas Holidays office and the Symi Visitor office, and other places.
• Olympic Holidays have a guided walk of the ancient village
Taxi boats leave from, and return to, the harbour regularly.
- Nimborio Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? ♥
- Nos (also known as the Town Beach and Paradise Beach) Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Easy walk from Yialos) ♥
- Petalo Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ Children friendly ♥ Walk to? (Easy walk from Yialos) ♥
- Ag. Marina Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Long walk from Pedi) ♥
- Pedi Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? ♥ Bus service ♥
- St Nicholas Photo Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly (Sandy) ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Medium walk from Pedi) ♥
- St George Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ (No facilities)
- Nanou Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Very long walk) ♥
- Maruthunda Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ By boat ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Very, very long walk – not advised!) ♥
- Tolis Taverna ♥ Swimming ♥ Children friendly ♥ Sunbeds ♥ Walk to? (Long walk, or car/moped advised) ♥
♦ Boat trips
Around the island and other destinations, a full day out with barbecue. Walks to parts of the island and a boat back can also be arranged. Check in Yialos (harbour) for the Triton, Diagoras, Poseidon and others. (Gallery here)
• Symi cave
• Kalodoukas Holidays also have boat trips and other excursions
• Panormitis monastery, bakery, museums and bay. You can go by boat (on a ‘round the island’ boat trip), by Taxi or by Bus. Or you can walk, though it can take a few hours. See James Collins’ write up from ‘Carry on Up the Kali Strata.’ There is a gallery of photos taken during a boat trip here.
• Nimborio: ancient catacombs and Roman mosaic (photo gallery)
• Tolis beach with taverna. Guided walks to Tolis are available on Monday from the Olive Tree
• Symi wine presses
• Roukouniotis monastery (Photo gallery)
• Mouse castle, burial mound and windmills (photo gallery)
• Symi Folk museum, upper Horio. Open Tuesday to Sunday 08.00 to 14.00. Call in to Symi Dream for a map showing how to get to the Museum, Castro and other village locations.
• Symi Castro
♦ Other ideas
• Hire cars & mopeds
• A night out in the village square (photo gallery) Bars, Tavernas, good company, atmosphere, the occasional donkey passing by, shops and sometimes singing and dancing in the square.
• Get married on Symi! Well, why not? We can help with the arrangements and the official island photographer can be on hand for your photos and video.
• Symi Festival. Details will be added to that page when they are made available. Photos