Creative Art Holidays
Creative Art Holidays aboard Yacht Kontiki in Turkey and the Greek Island of Simi.
Experience a truly different creative holiday combining an art course and cruising on the beautiful shimmering waters of the Turkish Mediterranean Sea offering an inspirational environment where you can create your own unique art works while cruising aboard the spacious wooden yacht Kontiki. The breathtaking scenery of mountains and rich pine forests, crystal clear seas harbouring secluded bays stimulate the mind body and soul, refreshing your inner creativity to unleash your unlimited potential and fire your imagination. The clarity of light, reflective nature of the sea and architectural gems make this the perfect open air art studio to experiment with new forms of expression and materials.
Your creative voyage starts from the quaint coastal farming village Orhaniye where you will stay the first night ashore in a friendly family run hotel, allowing time to settle into the climate and atmosphere of your surroundings. Welcome drinks on board Kontiki introduces you to your Tutor Christina and Skipper Terry and their charming first mate Murdo (meaning man of the sea), their friendly dog. Christina and Terry a Scottish and Australian couple complement each other well through Christina’s love of art and Terry’s passion for sailing. This is also a relaxing time to meet your fellow artists and see throughout our 20 metre Yacht which will be your own private floating Art School.
Sailing Art School Programme
The aim of the weeks Art programme has been organized to enable you to have one to one tuition with Christina, each day working on a new project. Immersing you in the process of drawing, painting and mixed media to discover a personal interpretation of the beauty of the Mediterranean coastal areas. Use of colour, application of brush marks, surface texture and balance of composition will be explored to convey a sense of mood and place in each art work you create. It is suitable for beginners, intermediate and experienced artists. These projects aim to open up a world of boundless creativity.
Projects range from:-
- Drawing and capturing the movement, energy and the majestic feeling of sailing on Kontiki.
- Visit a traditional boat yard building the famous Turkish Gullets. Construct collage and painting to explore structure, form, spatial awareness and scale.
- On a secluded beach, work with the natural elements and found objects to build a sculpture. Rediscover your inner child through the intensity of constructive play.
- In the Greek town of Simi, immerse yourself in colour and light. Colour has spiritual connotations, colour is powerful. Through abstraction you will paint a response to the juxtaposing brilliant expressive colours and light of Simi’s majestic architecture.
- Capture the tranquility of a Greek monastery. Painting what you sense, not what you see. The spiritual energy evoked, the meditation seeking enlightenment and the awareness of your creative powers will empower you to reach beyond your expressive boundaries.
- The final day hosts the Private View of the artists Exhibition “Sailing Art School aboard Kontiki”, a unique exhibition showing your art works. An opportunity to relax and appreciate your time and energies you put into your creative holiday accompanied with drinks and informal discussions of your works.
Selection of artist materials
Lightweight Folding Chairs
What is not provided:
Your personal paints
Christina Kirk, your tutor, will be happy to discuss equipment with you before you leave.
Christina Kirk MA.RCA, Tutor
An Internationally acclaimed artist, studied at the Royal College of Art, London majoring in Glass. Her teaching career spanned over 15 years, working in various UK Universities and in Australia, Denmark, Ireland and USA. Christina’s passion for colour, light, textures and atmospheres are expressed through a keen interest in working with a variety of materials. She is a highly gifted and an inspirational tutor. Her aim is to inspire, motivate and help artists discover their personal style and explore new methods and media.
Art Holiday includes:
- Welcome drinks party aboard Kontiki.
- One night stay in Family Hotel B&B, Orhaniye. Dinner is at your own cost.
- Orientation tour of Kontiki. Your remaining days sleeping on board our yacht in luxurious en-suite cabins or on deck under the moonlight and stars. All linen provided included towels (and one beach towel per person).
- Breakfast and lunch are served on the foredeck. Vegetarians or other special dietary requirements must discuss their needs with us prior to making their booking.
- Various art materials are supplied. However you are encouraged to bring your own also.
- Daily tuition is given on your art projects, plus additional time for you to continue your art on your own or time to relax and restore your creative energies, swimming, basking in the sun, reading.
- An exhibition “Sailing Art School aboard Kontiki” of your art works with celebration drinks.
- A maximum of 4 hours cruising daily aboard Kontiki, plus mooring fees.
- Dinner is organized for you to eat ashore savouring the delicious local cuisine and wines/spirits of the area.
- Flights are the student’s responsibility but we can give recommendations. The main airport is Dalaman.
- Transfers from the airport to Orhaniye can be arranged at an extra cost.
- Travel insurance is required.
- Individual excursions can be organized upon request.
Cost and Dates:
£799.00 per person. Single supplement add £150.00. Number of artists and non-artist partner are limited to six. Additional nights can be added to your holiday at a cost of £95.00 per person.
ART HOLIDAY DATES
|06-13 May 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Spaces|
|27 May-03 June 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Limited spaces|
|08-15 July 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Spaces|
|29 July-05 August 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Fully Booked|
|02-09 September 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Spaces|
|30 September-07 October 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Spaces|
|21-28 October 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Limited spaces|
|04-11 November 2011||7 Day Art Holiday||Fully Booked|
What to bring
Light casual clothes and sun block, sunhat, sunglasses, swimwear, footwear for easy walking, a small bag or backpack. Your own favourite art materials, eg: pastels, chalks, acrylic crayon, watercolours. Bear in mind liquids are not allowed in hand luggage and it is not advisable to put liquids in your suitcase. Collage materials, Sketchbook, Digital camera (if you have one)
Please contact us for further details:
E mail: email@example.com
Tel: Christina: +90 5385459849 Website: www.msykonyiki.com