See Symi from a different angle. [1st walk gallery click here] Cost: €10.00 per person
This year Neil will again be taking guided photo-walks on Sunday mornings or evenings. Here is your chance to:
- Explore some parts of Symi that you may not know.
- Chat about photography with Symi’s local photographer
- Pick up tips and hints, learn about your digital camera
- Take some stunning images in the early morning, or in the evening
- Take a good walk and have a good chat about what it is like to live on Symi
- Download your images to CD after the walk (not included in the price) and collect your CD copy at the Monday evening free ‘wine night’
“Neil’s photo walk is excellent…… Neil is patient and knowledgeable so can help you get the best out of your camera no matter what it is…between us we had a point and shoot digital and an iphone….and we’re still taking pics from odd angles!!” sugardens in Symi Chat
There are four walks, speak to Neil about availability:
Pedi valley, from the shop along the road to the top of the valley and then down and through, coming out at Pedi from where you can get the bus back or carry on, on your own, for swimming or more walking or a visit to one of the beaches.
Lower Horio, around the lanes from the shop and around the base of the Kastro for views towards Yialos, and then a few more village lanes and back to the village square.
Upper Horio, a walk through some of the smaller, narrower and lesser known lanes to see the features and photograph all manner of things. Up to and beyond the museum, through the ruins and back to the road, or back down through the village.
Evening Mouse Castle, an evening walk up to the windmills and the mouse castle to see the sun set over Yialos.
- Meet at the Symi Dream shop on the Kali Strata at 9.15 on Sunday morning (for morning walks)
- If you are coming from Yialos by bus, get off at the top of the hill, the windmills (Lakis will tell you if you ask him) and walk down the road to the right until it levels out at the Pharmacy, turn right, down some steps and then left to the shop.
Just turn up at the shop, email email@example.com or call in advance +30 6936421715 to make a booking.
Other walks can be held on other days with a minimum of three people.
“Thanks for a brilliant morning – great walk (should never have found that path down to Pedi on my own), good company and lots of useful advice on taking photographs.”
Here are details from previous years about the photo walks and how to enquire.
The morning walks will start from Symi Dream (at 09.15), in the village, and Neil will take you around Horio to see the ruins, find the hidden lanes and features of old Symi that you may not have seen before.
These too will start from Symi Dream in Horio and Neil will take you to either: a) the upper Horio where the walk will be about photographing features, architecture, ruins and landscapes. Or b) to the windmills to catch the sunset, photograph the landscapes and the view down across the Pedi Valley.
These photo-walks will take place in the mornings, before the sun becomes too hot, or in the late afternoon when the light is kinder. Starting times and routes will depend on the month. Later in the summer the walks may start earlier in the mornings to avoid the heat of the day.
Note: evening walks must be booked in advance.
The photo-walks will last for around two hours and be designed so that you still have time for a day on the beach, or to do more walking afterwards. The evening walks will be timed so that you can then carry on to dinner at one of the tavernas and have the rest of your evening ahead of you. They will not be strenuous though some climbing of steps will be involved, and you should wear good walking shoes.
How to book
Before you arrive: Email SymiDream and let us know what Sunday you would like to book for and for which walk. We will get right back to you to confirm.
Or, if you are already on Symi: Call into the Symi Dream shop to chat with Neil and see which walk is happening and when. Or phone Neil on +30 6936421715. Simple.
Cost: €10.00 per person
- A limited number of digital cameras are available if you don’t have your own.
- Further tuition on digital processing on the PC, and using Photoshop is available on a one-to-one basis. Contact Neil for more information.
- Contact Neil before your walk day to confirm the start time (may vary with the season)
- Personal photo-walks can be arranged subject to availability.
“Highly recommended to all Symi visitors! I uploaded some of my products to Picasaweb – I’m much happier with these than with anything I did during the previous days. AND I learnt a lot about my camera. Even enough to make me consider having a serious go at the manual.”
Any questions? Simply SEND US AN EMAIL or USE THE CONTACT FORM